High school fashion trends change frequently, inspiration comes from celebrities as well as teen resources such as online fashion magazines.
So how does a teenager know what to wear? Simple go with what suits you and you feel comfortable in, as confidence is the key to looking stylish throughout the year.
High School Fashion Trends
When looking at past fashion trends for high school students there are many similarities throughout the years and also a lot of differences.
Denim comes back season after season, perhaps in different shades and silhouettes but denim is certainly a staple in teen wardrobes.
Shoes change style, color and shape seasonally depending on the outfit trends current at the time. Though for high school comfort usually wins out, especially with more schools getting strict with footwear rules.
Current High School Fashions
Looking for back-to-school accessories for some high school kids can mean big business to stores and brands nationwide. Promotional campaigns are geared towards catching teenager’s attention with special deals and new designs highlighted. To get the most out of their allowance or parents generosity, teenagers need to look out for some key items when shopping back to school fashions:
- Embellished footwear is the style to look for in sneakers and flats. Converse has a fabulous selection of studded and embellished footwear at affordable price points and Payless is a great store to head to for embellished flats at bargain prices as they often have BOGO offers.
- Denim is all shades of blue will be popular this school year whether it be jeans, dresses, shirts, or jackets. Diesel has some great worn in options for jeans and for bargain options check out Kmart’s L.e.i collection, jeans can be found for $12!! J. Crew has reworked the denim shirt and has a great lightweight popover style, for a traditional denim jacket head to Levi’s or Hudson.
- Blazers will be seen in softer fabrics than previous seasons; Forever 21 has a great terry cloth option, which looks smart but at the same time effortlessly casual.
- Scarves that are oversized are great for back-to-school season as the weather is changeable and scarves easily change up an outfit. Look out for colorful patterns and prints. Forever 21 and Anthropologie are two wonderful stores to check out for scarf options.
- Backpacks are back! Forget oversized handbags and last year’s cross-body bags. This school year backpacks in every style and color is the school bag to look for. One style to keep an eye out for is celebrity designed backpacks; Gwen Stefani has designed some fun styles under her Harajuku Mini label.
High School Fashion Research
When wanting to know what to wear when heading back to school there are some common resources teenage girls look to:
- Teen Vogue gives young girls information on fashion, beauty and entertainment. With the power of the Vogue brand behind them Teen Vogue is a fabulous source for teenage girls.
- Elle Girl is a source for fashion, beauty, and entertainment as well as back to school information found on newsstands and online.
- Celebrity style is probably one of the largest sources of inspiration for high school teenagers. This school year two of the most influential women have been:
- Blake Lively, from her chic way of accessorizing to her recent relationship with Leonardo DiCaprio she is one of the main leaders in the pack.
- Selena Gomez, her style easily transitions from casual to elegant. Match that with her glossy locks and fresh faced look she gives teen girls an ideal look to follow.
2011 should be the year for high school teens to get comfortable and ease into a style they can own, whether it is high glamour or the girl next-door look. At the end of the day confidence is key!