Back to school fashion trends in 2011 take inspiration from both the runway and celebrity world. Stay trendy for the school year with our guide to hot styles.
Many stores and brands offer back to school deals when the school year starts up again; however, whether these deals are what kids want is another matter.
Trends and what stores offer can occasionally be off course and more about price points.
For what is on trend for back-to-school fashion this school year, the next couple of years and a look into the last few years, read on.
Best Back-To-School Fashion Trends 2011
For young teen girls, back-to-school fashion for 2011 is simpler than previous years.
- Plaid shirts with fitted jeans top the list. Graphic tees have once again come around and have become a staple in teenage girls closets.
- Denim in all forms is popular from jeans, jackets, to shirts and accessories. Blue denim in different shades is being ranked higher than previous seasons colored denim.
- For autumn/winter 2011, long layered scarves are essential, as are flat under-the-knee length boots in suede and leather.
- Of course, layering is important for the colder season; cardigans are key in all colors and both in patterns and plains. Adding a pop of color with bright bold cardigans is easy alongside earth tones apparel.
- As in the past few seasons, leggings remain a key piece for back to school teen girls. Leggings can be worn throughout the school year. During the spring/summer they can be worn with tees and blazers and then during the colder autumn/winter months leggings can be worn under knit dresses, blouses and layered tops.
- The color palette is vast, from bright colors to neutral earth tones.
Back-to-School Bag Trends
Totes will remain popular throughout 2011 as girls carry their extra essentials in stylish affordable totes this school year. From charity inspired slogan bags like the “FEED” totes to Forever 21 bargain printed totes, there is a vast selection to choose from. Main bags for school for teen girls are both bright and neutral and come in medium-sized messengers and satchels, and of course, backpacks.
Back-to-School Shoe Trends
Shoes are varied; flats and thick heels will all come out to play for school days; however, as many schools remain strict on footwear staying flat, sneaker sales rocket when it comes to back-to-school season.
From pastel-colored hi-tops, to white tennis shoes, to sparkly, embellished basketball-style sneakers, the casual footwear for school will become more individual and customized. For non-sneaker fans, ballet flats will remain a staple, embellished with bows, sequins and colored prints.
Back-To-School Fashion Trends 2009
A couple of years ago back to school trends for teen girls were slightly different. Whereas for 2011 blazers became the outerwear of choice, in 2009, cropped leather jackets and checked bomber jacket styles were popular.
Of course, some trends remain consistent such as the plaid shirt trend with jeans.
Back-to-school bags were much bigger in 2009 as the oversized bag took over Hollywood and schoolgirls took inspiration.
Just as school kids take inspiration from Hollywood, they also take inspiration from the adult runway. ’80s was a big inspiration for 2009, both denim and neon colors were seen in schools during the warmer months. Denim jeans went from baggy to tight in one season.
During autumn/winter 2009 colors went darker; black, navy, grays and metallic highlights were seen on pants, tops, dresses and accessories.
In the shoe market, Converse became extremely popular for both girls and boys. Easy to wear and individualize, Converse was an essential piece of footwear in 2009.
Back-To-School Fashion Trends 2013
So for 2013 what will be the trendy items to wear for school-aged girls?
Well, if history is anything to go by inspiration will be taken from the runway as well as the celebrity world. Pants will be looser in fit and more structured than previous years. Outerwear will also be more structured with the ’80s playing a possible return!
The 2013 color palette will have golden yellows, coral, purple shades, sea greens, and neutral grey shades.
However as we all know when it comes to teens it can be a guessing game so we will have to wait and see what is really worn in schools and remains popular for 2013 when the year rolls around!