There were definite lines drawn between adults and teenagers during the fifties as each group chose their own style.
Basics of 1950s Fashion
Fifties fashion trends reflected the times, since the War was over restrictions were removed bringing a time for a new era of prosperity and hope.
Women’s clothing during the fifties became more feminine and fragile looking. Shoulders were soft, gloves were key accessories, pencil skirts were in and smaller hats appeared with soft fabrics such as lace and feathers. Hair was high maintenance for women in the fifties as popular styles included long curled and pinned up styles.
Men’s fashion mainly consisted of formal wear such as suits and hair was kept neat and short.
Teenagers at this time however rebelled and wanted to get away from their parents style as much as possible. Rock and roll was popular in the fifties and teens wanted to dress like their idols Elvis Presley and popular actor James Dean. Gelled hair was in for teen boys as well as the white tee shirt and jeans look.
’50s Halloween Costume Ideas
The movie Grease was a huge hit when it released, set in the fifties it focused on the lives of teenagers. The fashions have been copied ever since so it’s no surprise that Grease inspired costumes come out to play during Halloween.
Grease Inspired ’50s Costumes:
- Sandy Leather Pants and Bodysuit Costume
- Sock Hop Costume. Full A-lined skirt and fitted sweater accessorized with a neck scarf.
- Pink Lady Costume. Either match your Capri pants or A-line skirt with the shiny pink jacket worn by the Pink Ladies.
- Danny T-Bird Jacket. Simple white tee, jeans, and black leather jacket styled with gelled combed back hair.
Other ’50s Inspired Halloween Costumes:
- Bowling King Pin Shirt Costume. Either wear the shirt with straight leg pants or go up a notch and accessorize with a bowling bag and bowl!
- Buddy Holly Costume. Checked blazer, white shirt, bow tie, and glasses.
- Diner Waitress Costume. To roller skate or not is up to you!
- Archie Comic Character Costumes. Choose from good boy Archie, comic Jughead, Pretty girl Veronica or cheerleader Betty.
- Marilyn Monroe Costume.
- Lucy from I Love Lucy Costume. Grab the red lipstick and wig and get talking!
So whether you decide to dress like a grown up for Halloween, rebel against society like a T-Bird or go classic like Marilyn Monroe the fifties has some fabulous inspiration.